Books: Learn the rules...then break them

I'm going to start this post with a quote from Aldous Huxley, an author who once blessed the advertising world with his literary skills:

"I have discovered the most exciting, the most arduous literary form of all, the most difficult to master, the most pregnant in curious possibilities. I mean the advertisement...It is far easier to write ten passably effective Sonnets, good enough to take in the not too inquiring critic, than one effective advertisement that will take in a few thousand of the uncritical buying public."
Aldous Huxley, 1923

I really like this quote. It scares me, as a junior, to think that copywriting could be 'the most arduous literary form of all', but at the same time, I want to be a master of copy and to do that I know it's going to be hell at times.

I believe that when you start something, you should learn the rules before you can break them. I would recommend following this very unoriginal insight. I'm going to do my best to put those rules down in this blog, but it's probably best to learn from the people who have created some of the best ads, and/or best names for themselves, in advertising.

Here, after much babble, is the list of books any aspiring copywriter should read (in no particular order except alphabetical):

It's Not How Good You Are, It's How Good You Want To Be - Paul Arden
Whatever You Think, Think The Opposite - Paul Arden
The Advertising Concept Book - Pete Barry
(Not much on copy, but still excellent)
Commonsense Direct Marketing - Drayton Bird
How To Write Sales Letters That Sell - Drayton Bird
The Copy Book - Alaistar Crompton
(Good luck getting your hands on it cheaply)
The Craft of Copywriting - Alaistar Crompton
From Those Wonderful Folks Who Gave You Pearl Harbour - Jerry Della Femina
Ogilvy On Advertising - David Ogilvy
Confessions Of An Advertising Man - David Ogilvy
Hey Whipple Squeeze This - Luke Sullivan
A Technique For Producing Ideas - James Webb Young


That should keep you busy for a while. And if there are any more you think should be on there, just let me know.

No comments: